It’s 2015 – Why Is Having A Career Path Important For You?
It’s 2015 and finally we have settled into the New Year with high hopes and aspirations. At the start of this New Year, we are certainly expecting to be able to avoid the sluggishness of recessionary years and we hope to achieve bullish growth. It becomes important though, to analyze work scenarios in past years so that we can anticipate future happenings well. Previous years were marked with layoffs, downsizing, bad working conditions and increasing unemployment. In 2015, have we really found a way out to build a strong defense mechanism against such economic misadventures? There is no magic formula for success or to tide over bad economic conditions, but a simple strategy of building a strong career path for you can really pay off in the long run. A sound career path is the most effective career resilience tool, that will help build a career growth strategy for tough times. A career path is instrumental in defining a clear purpose for one’s career goals.
Important considerations while building a career path
1. Career progression should never be viewed as a linear path. Rather, it should be viewed as a result of a number of intelligent decisions made, based on opportunities available at a particular time. One should be prepared to grasp ideas and new project as we work in order to make most out of opportunities. This can be done by regularly browsing through job websites to see what kind of career paths are available. Keeping oneself up to date with latest trends in the job markets, is also advised.
2. A successful career path is based on the present skills that can be utilized for work, and future skills which we wish to acquire over a period of time. A thorough analysis of capabilities we have should be done and necessary gaps should be identified. A meeting with someone providing sound career services can help achieve this end. This process will help in understanding what skills are necessary in reaching our full potential and how one should achieve them.
3. Never fear experimentation. While we may be debating here the necessity of defining our goals and objective, we also need to understand how experimenting with technology and new skills can incubate new ideas. Shifting directions is not an easy task, and it may not always be recommended. However, with an amalgamation of right career experimentation techniques and art of planning the usage of your skills, changing career gears would not be an impossible thing to achieve.
4. Slowing down the pace of your aspirations is never an option. Your career plans should be extremely aggressive and have clear timelines should be decided for achieving each of the career objectives.
5. While deciding on a career path, keep your story ready! This story should define how far you have come and what ways have you achieved. Your resume and LinkedIn profiles should be a summary of your career story.
In 2015 it is not necessary for you to have a straight career path. With some careful planning, careful screening of job websites, and the correct expectations set right by professionals offering career services, can help one explore many opportunities that will open doors of progress and upliftment.