Why Should I Work With a Health Coach?
Why should you work with a health coach? What is a health coach and how do you use the services of one? Five years ago a health coach was an unknown profession except in the world of corporate executives or large corporations. Now it is a growing business with health coaches, wellness coaches and fitness coaches. In our age of growing baby boomers people are turning to coaches more and more for help with health or fitness related issues that they cannot resolve. We are in a movement of people acquiring more knowledge about health risks and wanting to make sound choices in their lives and prevent catastrophic problems. People are living longer each year and it is of utmost importance to keep ourselves healthy to live those extra years with a good quality of life.
A health coach is there for you to be your partner in taking charge of your health, recognizing bad choices and teaching you to make wise choices. Included in the job description of a health coach is the training that they incorporate into an action plan for you. They empower you, support you, motivate and inspire you, encourage you and challenge you.
A health coach gives you a new approach to your lifestyle in terms of getting fit, understanding what beneficial habits are and learning to stop non-beneficial habits. You and the coach focus on health changes you need to make and also on managing chronic health conditions enhancing your life.
There are some important points to consider when you are trying to stay healthy, reach a fitness or nutritional goal or manage a chronic health issue. Listed are some points to consider;
1. You need to have a goal to reach. That goal is specific for each individual. Examples would be a goal to lose 10 pounds, a goal to increase your endurance so you can go hiking for 5 miles with your kids, a goal to learn to eat nutritionally and decrease junk food, a goal of becoming more fit when you have severe arthritis. You can see what I mean, that goals are different for everyone. When you work with a health coach you and the coach decide what the goal should be, and put it in some concrete fashion. Concrete fashion could be a contract, written goals with specific time lines, you get the idea. Your coach works for you and with you to persevere towards that or those specific goals. Your coach should be able to motivate you, understand what needs you may have and continually promote progress. Your coach should also be able to listen to you and respect your concerns and issues that may be holding you back from reaching your goals.
2. Any wellness program has a fitness program. Your health coach works with you to research and plan for a specific program. The coach also motivates and inspires you to perform the program and push yourself.
3 A change in lifestyle is usually necessary to reach a goal of optimum health. A health coach has the knowledge to promote those changes in you and is your advocate when you are working against yourself.
4. Your health coach educates you about wellness, nutrition and fitness. Your coach should be knowledgeable about anatomy, physiology, disease processes and many other facets about health and disease. A health coach should provide you with informative articles, news, or places of value to you in bringing you to your optimum level of wellness.
5. Your health coach should have the knowledge base to understand your health and potential health issues and involve a medical professional when necessary.
6. A health coach should be persistent, dedicated to you and patient with you.
A health coach is a motivating and inspiring force behind you. A health coach wants to bring you to your optimum level of health. Teaming up with a health coach can help you to achieve success, to emulate models of health and have an advisor who supports you and is a positive change agent in your life.