You just have bought a car and you are wondering – what insurance premium can I expect for my vehicle? One fixed answer perfect for everyone doesn’t exist here. We are all different, so different will be our best individual auto insurance policies.
Getting your best auto insurance policy is a two-phase selection process:
- Deciding on what insurance provisions you really need.
- Choosing your auto insurance provider.
Phase 1 – Make You Decision on What Auto Insurance Provisions You Really Need.
· Road-side Assistance
If your car is not a new one you might find this feature very attractive as it could save you some money and a lot of nerves if your car gets broken in the middle of the road.
Some insurance carriers offer accident forgiveness to its drivers. This valuable feature would protect your insurance rate from increase after your car gets involved into a traffic accident even if the accident was at your fault.
· Collision Coverage
With Collision Coverage your Insurance Company will pay even if the accident happened at your fault. Make sure that coverage is sufficient in funds, if not – you will be liable to pay the rest.
· Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage
With this feature in policy your Insurance Company will pay for injuries to you and all your passengers in the case of any traffic accident which happened at other motorist fault and that motorist had no insurance at all or had insufficient insurance.
Deductible is the amount of money you agree to pay from your pocket in the case of a traffic accident; the rest will be paid by your Insurance Company. Higher deductible always translates to lower insurance rates. However don’t over-indulge on this feature – it is you who will be requested to pay that money if anything happens.
· Medical Coverage
This feature defines how much money you will get in the case of your auto accident-related injury.
· Comprehensive Coverage
With this feature in policy your insurance company pays a damage repair to your car for the reasons other than a collision. This includes windstorm, hurricane, fire, theft, vandalism etc. This type of coverage is often required if you lease or use multi-year financing for your car, but it would also be very valuable for every driver who wants to get fully protected.
Phase 2 – Choose your auto insurance provider.
· Get a second opinion – use the word-of-mouth approach – ask colleagues, neighbors or friends, visit web forums or any other available channels to get an initial list of insurance provider candidates.
· Narrow it down to 5-10 short-listed insurance companies which you believe will meet your needs well.
· Visit your state’s “Department of Insurance” web site. Yes, many of us don’t know that fact, but every State has “Department of Insurance” which keeps track of insurance providers under state’s jurisdiction. Check consumer complaint ratio for each company in your short-listed companies list and narrow it down to 3-5 best candidates.
· Get your preliminary quotes for each insurance company in your short list.
To simplify this step use Get Instant Quote resources available for free in the Internet.
· Choose the final company with the best insurance policy for you and your vehicle.
With the detailed selection check list provided above getting the auto insurance policy which would be right for you becomes a relatively easy task.
Using the knowledge about insurance policies and their features covering you and your vehicle you will always be able to get the right decision. Protect yourself on the road and save your money in the case of auto accident by purchasing the right car insurance for you and your family.